Most articles and products related to water conservation focus on the applications at home. While water consumption is typically higher in a household, there are plenty of opportunities at our daily places of employment to use water more wisely. We have compiled a list of our favorite ways to conserve water at the office, shop, or place of business.
1. Install water-saving aerators on all of the faucets. An easy and simple solution.
2. Post the contact information for the maintenance personal in the bathrooms and kitchens to report leaks. Doing so will increase response times and decrease wasted water.
3. Include a water-saving tip in your employee monthly newsletter or email.
4. Ask the maintenance team to regularly check the facilities for leaks and drips.
5. Check with local water utility companies to see if rebates are available for utilizing water-efficient technologies and equipment.
6. Educate the person in charge of the landscape on outdoor water saving ideas and techniques.
7. Adjust irrigation procedures inline with the changes in season. Decrease watering during rainy seasons.
8. Scrape dishes off before rinsing and washing them.
9. Be sure your irrigation system is watering only the areas intended, with no water running onto sidewalks, streets, or down the gutter.
10. Inspect the landscape irrigation system for leaks. If one is found report or fix it in a timely manner.
11. Put decorative fountains or water features on a timer so they only run during operating hours.
12. Only wash company vehicles when it’s needed instead of on a specific schedule.
13. When ice cubes are leftover from your drink, don’t throw them out. Pour them on a plant.
Conserving water is very easy to do. By educating each other and paying attention to details we can easily find ways to be more resourceful with water in the places where we work. Tell us other great water-saving techniques in the comments below.